Saturday, 27 April 2013

Tension Headache - Ankylosing Spondylitis.

I wanted to write a short article about something that rules my life and drives me completely insane sometimes. Due to my AS (Ankylosing Spondylitis) I suffer horrendous tension headaches which cause me incredible pain and discomfort. Due to years of very active AS, I now have a fused spine and neck so unfortunately tension headaches have for approximately the last 10 years been a regular feature of my life, in the last 5 years they have gotten worse and the attacks can turn into cluster headaches where it can last for several days before easing.

Today as I type this I'm on my second day of a bad head, I've tried everything from heat packs to ice to sunglasses and medication but sometimes I just have to leave it to run its course. Ordinary paracetamol does nothing for me now, I do take codeine if I can't stand the pain, but I don't like the side effects and constipation I seem to suffer. My favourite standby of choice and a medication that nearly always works is Syndol, a mixture of paracetamol/ codeine & doxylamine succinate. It works but makes me feel quite spaced out and drowsy. For the last few months Syndol has been off the market again which is really frustrating. I have one precious box left which I now ration and I really hope that Syndol becomes available again on the market....

My consultant prescribed Amitriptyline to help with the tension headaches, but I just couldn't stand the side effects that made me feel worse than the headaches themselves. If anyone out there has some suggestions, I would love to hear them!

Well I'm off to heat my neck pack in the microwave and hope this headache eases. Bye for now everyone. Mart x


No comments:

Post a Comment