Sunday, 23 November 2014

Arcoxia (Etoricoxib) my three month battle with side effects.

It's now been three and a half months since I started on a new drug Arcoxia ( Etoricoxib) 90mg to help my Ankylosing Spondylitis. Prescribed by my rheumatologist at Royal National Hospital for Rheumatic Diseases RNHRD Bath.
Etoricoxib is a new type of anti inflammatory NSAID, a COX2 inhibitor, designed to reduce the risk of peptic ulceration and to directly target the COX2 enzyme responsible for pain & inflammation.
Etoricoxib and other COX2 NSAID's (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) have a whole slew of side effects and can increase the risk of heart attack & stroke.
To be honest I wasn't too keen on trying it, but my old drug Meloxicam (Mobic) which I had been taking for almost twenty years was not helping me any longer and I needed to try something different.
Within a week of taking Arcoxia, I started suffering tiredness ( more than usual) light headed feelings, dizziness and nausea. I persevered and slowly these side effects receded. A month later I developed a red, itchy annoying rash around my neck & shoulders, I treated it myself with antiseptic cream and an over the counter anti-histamine. The rash subsided and disappeared over the space of three - four weeks. So...now after three and half months, I feel much better for being on Arcoxia, it's definitely helped with pain and inflammation, my AS is more bearable. I still feel side effects now and again. Dizziness and fatigue is a problem but i'm not sure if the cause is Arcoxia or my Ankylosing Spondylitis in general. So overall I'm pleased, it's been a battle on this drug but now it's settled down and I feel better for taking it. I have my consultant check up in Feb/ March 2015 so will wait and see what my rheumatologist thinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment